Contents

Sunday 21 July 2019

Romania, First impressions

So, my first taste of Romania.
Not quite what I expected, I will say.
First of all, DAMN IT'S HOT.
Actually its not too bad, mid 30's C, (Google did warn me about this, I'm sure one day I'll listen)
but oh do I miss an air conditioner in the humidity...

Flying in, it seems like a land where nature has not quite lost the fight for dominance. The victory of Man over tree is certain, but the battle yet rages, the pockets of trees blanketing the landscape are still holding on, while their enourmous cousins still fight on the fringes. Swathes of forest lie between the farmlands and cities, parts of Bucharest itself is covered in vines, slowly smothering the walls, street lamps and powerlines into a true urban jungle.

The city, Bucharest, reminds me much of cities in Africa, and South America, the space between buildings, the degradation and construction, the graffiti hidden in the alleyways. Yes, this is partially the European architecture, but i had the thought of unity between them, not as simply buildings, but as the humans who live here. These cities flow into such similar shapes, because at the very core of them live the same species of biped ape, divided by culture, distance and language, but united by who they truly are. They are human, and these cities, are their creations.
It struck me as oddly comforting as we drove through the streets of Bucharest, beneath the vines. This wasnt a new or strange place any more. This was  just another city, beautiful and strange in its own unique ways, yet eternally familiar all the same.
And for humans thay built it, or those wandering through, this is a home.

So, hello to country no. 45, I wonder what you have in store for me tomorrow.

From the wrong time, the wrong place, but maybe the right hat,
 - Alexander Hewitt

No comments:

Post a Comment